Day 34

 

OBJECTIVES

Keep exercising frontal vowels

Continue writing a paragraph telling an anecdote.

Listen and comprehend two biographies


PRONUNCIATION: Last chance to practice frontal vowels

A. Recognize the sound

                      By Karen Taylor and Shirley Thompson.


B. Pronounce these words

peaches                                             chicken            

beans                                                 shrimp

me                                                      fish

teacher                                               milk

tree                                                     gig

teeth                                                   him

meal                                                   big

read                                                    lip

a jar of peanut butter.                 Give me a kiss.

It´s a big zuchinni.                       I´m busy,

I want some cheese.                     Watch your kid.


C. Recongize the sound:  Circle (or write) the word you hear:

1.             bit               bite

2.             dime           dim

3.             kite             kit

4.             fin               fine

5.             hide             hid

6.             leap             lip

7.             fit                feet

8.             ride             rid

9.             it                 eat

10.           sit               seat


DISCUSSING ART:

Lesdy


WRITING: Writing a Paragraph telling an anecdote.

I had brunch at El Meson last Sunday. It was the best mexican food I have tried in a long time. They prepared a wonderful traditional buffet with tetelas, gordita de harina, cafe de olla in a clay pot, and more than you just cant get anywhere else. It was just like my grandmother used to make.

When I was a child, my family went on a summer vacation to the Great Smoky Mountains every year. One year, my aunt saw a black bear while she was hiking She was so terrified she ended up sitting on a boulder for an hour just to make sure it had gotten far enough away from her. She still won´t go hiking alone anywhere.

You learn things you will never forget. In high school I took typing, among other classes. My English was very rudimentary at the beginning and I struggled with pronunciation. One day I asked my classmate sitting next to me for a shit of paper. She looked at me oddly and said, Do you mean a sheet of paper?  I just didnt understand what the difference was until the teacher very kindly explained it to me. I was very embarrased. I have never forgotten the difference between the pronunciation of shit and sheet.

The Writing Process

1. Prewriting 
a. Generation of ideas
b. Organization of ideas

2. Writing
a. Writing a first draft
b. Writing a second draft


Task: 
1. Take a look at the paragraph you wrote last night.

Check the following:

a. looks like a  paragraph
b. has a topic sentence at the beginning
c. how many sentences does it have.
d. check how many sentences you wrote
e. do all the sentences in the paragraph refer to the same idea?
f. does it have a concluding sentence? 

2. Write a second draft of your paragraph.

LISTENING COMPREHENSION: Listen to a biography

Task:  Write two facts that interested you.






VOCABULARY

A. From Steve Job´s Speech

Commencement                        
drop out (verb)                  
drop in (verb)       
drop in (noun) 
unwed (adjective)  
...naively...(adverb)   
tuition (as in college tuition)
figure out (as in figure something out; figure it out)      
approach (noun)            
                                            I am honored to...
                                             ...the finest...
                                             Truth be told...
                                                No big deal
                                           connecting the dots
                                     ...(I) feel very strongly that...
                                                   ...all set...
                                               trust your gut

B. Phrasal Verbs
get up
get down
get away
get over 
get off
get on
get in

grow
grow up

C. Vocabulary to describe food
sweet
sour
bitter
bland
plain
spicy
salty
savory

crunchy
crispy
mealy
mushy 
soggy
tender
juicy
fatty
oily
ripe

rich
light
decadent
burned
undercooked
overcooked









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6

Day 46

DAY 20